Friday, October 3, 2008

Presidential Election 2008



I couldn't sleep the other night because I was thinking about politics. It is a fascinating time right now with our economy on the brink, the US borrowing money from other countries(instead of the other way around), a war going on for the 5th year now.... It makes me angry that this war was was supposedly started to fight terror, but we as the US, haven't been able to control or find the terrorist leaders that are the main threat??!? I have never actually practiced my right to vote. This is not out of laziness, but out of a lack of belief in our government. I look at politicians as educated car salesmen. I think our nation was built on righteous and strong principals, but things have changed. Maybe there's just too many people and too much power. I did register to vote early on in this election. This is the first time I have really felt like it is worth trying to put someone in power that I want to believe in. I'm not registered under any particular party. I took a quiz online and it stated I belong in the Green/Independent party. Here's why I'm voting for Obama:
1. He wants to pull troops out and end this war and has a time line for that. McCain supported Bush in wanting more troops there. McCain wants to "WIN" this war. Sometimes, it's better to step away. Remember Vietnam?
2. Statistics like 60 Afghan children killed by US mistargeted air strike. I want this war to be over!
3. A retired beauty queen with a young family to raise, running for Vice President of the United States of America?!? Are you kidding me!
4. I work in downtown Long Beach in the ghetto. There area a lot of shootings. Unless you are eating what you hunt-give the police the guns.
5. I want my President and Vice President to be smarter than me. Guess what, I have a college degree too, just like Palin. It's not that difficult. But did I graduate from Harvard? McCain was at the bottom of his graduating class!...remind you of anyone? Bush Junior maybe? And Palin has a BA.
6. Even if Obama doesn't do what he says he will, like lower taxes for the middle class, at least he is not blatantly stating he will lower taxes for those making more that $250,000 per year like the other party is.

I recently read an article in Rollingstone, which is usually cynical and one sided, but I liked this little excerpt:
As I watch Obama on the campaign trail, I know I am listening to the same old s*#$, delivered by a candidate who could cross the Atlantic on a bridge constructed entirely from Wall Street cash culled for him by party hacks and insiders. But, I suddenly don't care. It's not just that the alternative is four years of the madman John McCain. It's that, if Obama wins, it will be interesting to find out, at long last, if there really can be something truly different about someone who sounds so much the same.

I just feel the same way as the writer in the article. I don't believe Obama is a saint or any politician is for that matter. I just hope he can do what he says he will. We'll see if he gets a chance to try.

2 comments:

sienna said...

yay! thanks chelsea. i am not sure if we can vote cause we'll be out of the country, but i am going to try to figure out this absentee ballot thing. i love your reasons and agree on all accounts.

christian said...

My motto is, if you don't vote you can't complain. As I love to gripe, I faithfully go out to polls as often as they have them. Good post.