Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Poor Man's Coconut Curry Soup


This soup is the bomb. I made it poor man's style...because that's what I am.

It takes about 30 min to make. Here's some easy directions with some variations included.

Ingredients:

2 cloves garlic finely chopped.
1 small white/yellow onion cut to your desired consistency for soup
2 cups veggies (I used carrots, green beans, and cauliflower from a bag of frozen veggies...let them thaw before adding them.)
3 large potatoes cubed (I used my favorite: red)
2-14oz cans chicken broth
1-14oz can coconut milk (Use the regular kind. It's naturally unsweetened)
2 tsp curry powder (I used the yellow/greenish kind. It's very mild.)
1/4cp milk
2 Tbs flour
1 Tbs butter or olive oil (I used olive oil)
(If you want it to be a chicken soup: add meat from a rotisserie chicken or a couple cans of cooked chicken after the potatoes are cooked. Or, you can use raw chicken. Just, throw it in with the garlic and onions until browned. Continue cooking it with the potatoes.)

Directions:

In one of those huge soup pots, heat the butter or oil with the chopped up garlic and onion on low/med heat until lightly browned. (If you want to add raw chicken, add it now and don't continue with rest of ingredients until it is browned. Now, add the chicken broth, veggies and potatoes. Cook about 20 min or until potatoes are fork tender. In a separate cup, mix milk and flour until thick. Add to soup until dissolved. Add coconut milt and curry powder. I garnished with some avocado. It gave it a buttery taste...soooo good and easy.


This soup reminded me of the kind Grandma Mimi would make when I was staying with her and Grandpa during my college days. Robby even like it and he doesn't like curry.

4 comments:

lauren said...

that sounds yummy i will have to try it. i love curry, david not so much... i made potatoe cheese tonight for him just like his mom makes and then he had a work dinner thing he had to go to last minute.. such is life...

david a bouchers said...

I love how you said flower for flour. :) so cute. the recipe sounds delicious, I will have to try it! thanks.

ashley said...

hey, just found your blog on lauren's comments!

i need that pumpkin blondies recipe. i have been dreaming about them, they were amazing!

chelsea said...

Hi Ashley! Shoot me an e-mail so I can send you the recipe. chelseadawn24@gmail.com yum