Monday, October 18, 2010

chicken fiesta-in-your-mouth soup


It's been raining with thunder and lightning and we've been loving it. I was in the mood for soup, so I made this. It's easy and Monet said it was the best soup ever. She even wanted it for breakfast.

So, I found a recipe in Good Housekeeping for chicken soup. I used it as a reference, but made it in my own way. I've picked up tips from the food network. (I love the Barefoot Contessa) I also got to live with Grandma Mimi and watched her make different kinds of soups. She never uses a recipe and they always turn out amazing. I love her clam chowder and vegetable. Here's the soup I made. It turned out sooo good that I had to share:

Chicken Fiesta-In-Your-Mouth Soup

Ingredients:
2 large chicken breasts (or 4 bone-in chicken breasts)
3 cloves garlic
1 medium sized yellow onion (use more or less and any variety you like really)
1/2 cube butter
3 Tbs olive oil (whichever cooking oil you like)
one small bag frozen corn
2 medium sized cans chunk tomatoes (you can use the ones with chillies/peppers in them)
3-4 cups chicken broth
salt to taste
garlic salt to taste
ground cumin to taste (no biggie if you don't have this)
3 small corn tortillas (optional, but it tastes extra good)

Directions:
Melt the butter and add oil in a stock pot on low heat. Salt/pepper the chicken, sprinkle with garlic salt and ground cumin to taste. Place chicken in the butter/oil. Chop the onions and garlic and sprinkle over and around the chicken. Cook the chicken through on both sides (if you use the bone-in, it takes longer). Take it out and set aside. Add the chicken broth, canned tomatoes and frozen corn. Shred the chicken and throw it back in. Let simmer for ten minutes or so. If you have the corn tortillas, slice them up in very thin slices. Drizzle with olive oil, spinkle with salt and toss. Bake at 350 for 5 minutes or so, until crispy.

No comments: