Friday, October 22, 2010

KRS-1

(lead singer of Sublime)
Just learned this song on the guitar. Like a lot of great things, this band's life was cut short. Drugs are bad kids. He has the smoothest buttery voice. I could listen to it all day. I work in Long Beach, where this band is from. One of my co-workers went to high school with it's members. When he was a junior, he decided to have a party when his parents were out of town. His friends, formerly known as Sublime, played at his house party. Due to the party, his parents kicked him out and he lived out of his VW for a whole year. He's an only child. Now he's an RN at the psychiatric hospital where I work. One of my favorite people.
Just to be nostalgic, I remember exactly the first time I heard Sublime. I had never heard anything like it before. I was hanging out at a friend's house in high school. The house had a detached garage that had been turned into a makeshift studio where we would hang out. It was a block away from old town Folsom and a short walk from our high school. When we would ditch class, this is one of the places we would go. It was one of those houses where the parent was never home, so we were free to do as we pleased. On this night, different kids were coming in and out. Waiting for My Ruca was playing. At the time, I thought it was an old album, but now I know it was only around for a year or so before I first heard it. I think it was love at first sound. I can't count how many times Sublime's songs have comforted my soul.
On another note, Yesterday, Isaac peed on the toilet and Monet rode her bike without training wheels for the first time. We are in no way trying to potty train Isaac; he's only a year and 8 months. He pulls Monet's old potty training seat out of the cupboard and asks to sit on it. It's pretty cute. Yesterday, he just happened to actually pee while on it.

1 comment:

Damaris said...

I love love love Sublime and KRS-1 is such an awesome song. Now I'm going to bust out my sublime CDs.