Thursday, December 9, 2010

More on Connectedness



Only connect.

-E.M. Forster



I happened upon this post on "Salt Stained Eyes" entilted Connectedness. It made me think of how I feel in different surroundings or situations. How I avoid places or people because I don't feel connected and how I find myself at certain places again and again because I do feel it. I feel right when I'm at the beach, breathing in salty, ocean air, on a walk, at the park with the kids, exercising at the gym, talking and being with certain people.


Monet was only a few months old and I was staying with my parents in Folsom, a small saburban town outside of Sacramento with it's mini mansions and fancy cars. People are rarely seen outside. You have to get in your car and drive half an hour to get to places like the grocery store. It's a commuter town. I was jogging on the side walk with Monet in the stroller, looking at the tract houses and the thought entered my head: I don't have to live here. There were other reasons too, but a few weeks later, I packed up our car and Monet and I moved back to our beach. I would put her in the baby carrier, walk down to the water and soak it all in: the sunset, the sand, the waves coming and going. My soul felt at home in this little town, working at the place I so love. After work, I would get on my bike with Monet in the back seat and ride along the coast. It wasn't easy. I was actually really hard at times, but it's nice to be where you belong. I feel that too with the other surf moms and the kids. Maybe it's the ocean and sense of adventure that brings us together.

2 comments:

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

I loved this post. I know what you mean. feeling at home is everything and it's importnat to define what home is for ourselves.

Karen said...

i was thinking about the sense of "belonging" today. thank you.